Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has some interesting comments in the dreadful disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. While addressing parliament today, he stated:
- *AUSTRALIA FINDS POSSIBLE OBJECTS LINKED TO MH370, ABBOTT SAYS
- *OBJECTS FOUND IN SEARCH MAY NOT BE MH370, ABBOTT SAYS
- *ABBOTT SAYS NEW, CREDIBLE INFORMATION IN RELATION TO MH370
- *ABBOTT: AMSA HAS RECEIVED INFO. BASED ON SATELLITE IMAGERY
- *ABBOTT: OBJECTS IN SOUTH INDIAN OCEAN MAY BE RELATED TO SEARCH
There is not much color yet but it appears that 2 objects have been found and the Aussies are diverting more aircraft to search the area.
- *ABBOTT: TASK OF LOCATING OBJECTS WILL BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT
- *ABBOTT: SPOKEN TO MALAYSIA PM NAJIB, INFORMED OF DEVELOPMENTS
- *ABBOTT: 3 MORE AIRCRAFT TO BE DIVERTED TO SEARCH LOCATION
Australia's prime minister says objects possibly related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight have been spotted on satellite imagery.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott told Parliament in Canberra on Thursday that a Royal Australian Airforce Orion has been diverted to the area to attempt to locate the objects. The Orion is expected to arrive in the area Thursday afternoon. Three additional aircraft are expected to follow for a more intensive search.
Via Sydney Morning Herald,
Mr Abbott described the breakthrough as "new and credible information."
"The Australian maritime safety authority has received information based on satellite imagery of objects possibly related to the search," Mr Abbott said.
"Following specialist analysis of this satellite imagery, two possible objects related to the search have been identified."
Mr Abbott said he had informed his Malaysian counterpart, Prime Minister Najib Razak, and promised to keep him updated.
Abbott cautioned, however, that the task of locating these objects will be extremely difficult and "it may turn out that they are not related to the search for flight MH370."
Prime Minister Tony Abbott says Australian search effort in Indian Ocean has new, credible information in relation to missing Malaysian Airline plane.
Abbott addresses lawmakers in parliament
Australian Maritime Safety Authority has received information based on satellite imagery: Abbott
NOTE: AMSA to hold 3:30pm Sydney time briefing