Europe Unleashes Sanctions On 15 Individuals And 18 Entities (But No Russian Companies)
We had a glimpse of what the sanctions could be but European leaders have just released the draft list of who may be affected:
- *DRAFT EU SANCTIONS LIST TARGETS 15 INDIVIDUALS, 18 ENTITIES
Individuals include the head of Russian intelligence and Secret Service and focuses on Eastern Ukraine and Crimea entities (and no Russian companies). How long before the boomerang rotates back?
EU ambassadors have agreed to hit 15 people and 18 entities with new sanctions for their role in the crisis in Ukraine, diplomats say.
The decision, expected to be finalized in coming days, would bring to 87 the number of people facing EU travel bans and asset freezes for their role in threatening Ukraine's territorial integrity.
The entities are being targeted under new criteria allowing asset freezes against organizations that are "materially or financially supporting actions" undermining the territorial integrity. EU leaders had indicated last week that Russian firms should be considered.
Any further decisions on stepped-up sanctions, such as tougher economic measures, are not expected until next week.
- *EU TARGETS BORTNIKOV, HEAD OF RUSSIAN FSB SECRET SERVICE
- *EU TARGETS PATRUSHEV, HEAD OF RUSSIA SECURITY COUNCIL
- *EU TARGETS CHECNYA LEADER KADYROV
- *EU TARGETS FRADKOV, DIRECTOR OF RUSSIA FOREIGN INTEL SERVICE
- *EU DRAFT LIST FOCUSES ON EAST UKRAINE, CRIMEAN ENTITIES
- *EU DRAFT SANCTIONS LIST DOESN'T MENTION MAJOR RUSSIAN COMPANIES
* * *
So just enough to please Washington, but not enough to really piss Putin off...
- advertisements -