After unleashing a 10-page report of the death and destructive economic impact they could have on Russia via sanctions, the European leaders have agreed to issue travel bans, some asset-freezes, and trade curbs on various new individuals and business entities. The Goldilocks sanctions... just enough to please Washington, not enough to infuriate Putin into 'boomerangs'.
- *EU AMBASSADORS’ MEETING ON RUSSIA SANCTIONS REACHES DEAL: FT
EU ambassadors have reached agreement on a new round of travel bans and asset freezes in response to the crisis in Ukraine, diplomats say.
* * *
- *EU AGREES CURBS ON RUSSIAN BANKS, EXPORT OF SOME TECHNOLOGY
- *EU TO RESTRICT EXPORT OF EQUIPMENT FOR RUSSIAN OIL PRODUCTION
- *EU TO CURB STATE-OWNED RUSSIAN BANKS' ACCESS TO CAPITAL MARKETS
- *EU TO IMPOSE EMBARGO ON FUTURE ARMS SALES TO RUSSIA
- *EU TO CURB SALE OF 'DUAL-USE' MACHINERY, ELECTRONICS TO RUSSIA
- *SANCTIONS WILL BE REVIEWED AFTER 3 MONTHS: EU DIPLOMAT
- *AIDE SAYS U.S. HAS APPROVED EXPORTS OF DUAL-USE GOODS TO RUSSIA
- *COMMERCE AIDE SAYS U.S. HASN'T REVOKED RUSSIA EXPORT LICENSES
- *U.S. GOODS APPROVED FOR EXPORT HAVE MILITARY APPLICATIONS
I.e. the rockets for US military satellites
* * *
* * *
Is it any wonder European leaders are all talk since the potential for blow back is so much larger compared to Washington...
* * *
Meanwhile, Russia is 'trying'
- *LAVROV URGED KERRY TO PUSH UKRAINE GOVT FOR CEASE-FIRE
- *LAVROV, KERRY DISCUSSED ARMS CONTROL, UKRAINE, MIDDLE EAST
- *LAVROV, KERRY AGREE ON NEED FOR CEASE-FIRE NEAR MH17 CRASH SITE
And Kerry's response:
- *KERRY: RUSSIA SHOWS `NO SHRED OF EVIDENCE' OF BACKING CEASEFIRE
- *KERRY: U.S. WILL IMPOSE WIDER SANCTIONS ON RUSSIA IF NO CHANGE