Even before the world's media had had chance to relay the 'great' news that Israel and Hamas had agreed a 120-hour (5-day) ceasefire, Hamas reportedly fired 5 rockets instantly breaching the ceasefire. Israel's response - launch warplanes and unleash a bombing campaign...
This just happened...
- 1645ET *PALESTINIAN NEGOTIATOR SAYS TRUCE EXTENDED BY 5 DAYS
- 1659ET *THREE MORE GAZA ROCKETS HIT ISRAEL, ARMY SAYS
- 1729ET *IDF TOLD TO RESPOND TO PALESTINIAN CEASEFIRE BREACH: HAARETZ
- 1740ET *ISRAELI WARPLANES BOMBING GAZA: AL JAZEERA
We presume that "ceasefire" means something different in Gaza?
- *HAMAS ACCEPTS 72-HOUR EXTENSION OF TRUCE, HAMAS TV IN GAZA SAYS
- *PALESTINIAN NEGOTIATOR SAYS TRUCE EXTENDED BY 5 DAYS
- *ISRAELI ARMY SAYS 5 ROCKETS FIRED FROM GAZA BEFORE MIDNIGHT
- *ARMY: `GAZA TERRORISTS CONTINUE TO BREACH CEASE-FIRE'
- *ISRAELI ARMY SAYS STRIKES RETALIATION FOR PALESTINIAN ROCKETS
- *ISRAEL CARRIES OUT AIR STRIKES ON GAZA
For the record, Hamas denies responsibility for the rockets.
- *EIGHT ROCKETS FIRED SINCE 9:30 PM, ARMY SAYS IN TEXT MESSAGE
Gaza terrorists have breached the ceasefire & launched a rocket at Israel, hitting the Hof Ashkelon regional council. pic.twitter.com/YKyMv1Ncrg
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) August 13, 2014