- 14 people have been injured after an Afghan teenager armed with an axe and a knife attacked people on board a train traveling between Wurzburg-Heidingsfeld and Ochsenfurt,
German police confirmed that between 10 and 15 people were injured in the attack. Meanwhile local media reports suggested that up to 21 people could have been hurt.
- The Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said the attacker was a 17-year-old Afghan refugee who had been living in the nearby town of Ochsenfurt.
- Hermann told public broadcaster ARD that the teenager appeared to have travelled to Germany as an unaccompanied minor
- The refugee is said to have shouted "Allahu Akbar" during the attack. He was “shot” by officers as he tried to flee the scene.
- At least three of the victims suffered “serious” injuries, police spokesman told local news outlet Blaulicht Würzburg.
- Another person suffered light injuries, while all 14 passengers who had been in the same car of the regional train were in a state of “shock” following the onslaught.
* * *
Update 3: Bloodstains could be seen on the floor of the train carriage
The attacker fled the train but was chased and shot dead by police
Update 2: As some have speculated, it turns out that the axe-assailant was not local, and was in fact a 17-year-old Afghan who shouted "Allahu Akbar" during the attack on the German train.
Update: BBC reports local police confirm the axe-man has been shot dead.
As we detailed earlier, more than 20 people in Germany have been injured after a man with an axe went on the rampage on a train, according to German media.
— Roeland Roovers (@r0eland) July 18, 2016
The Express reports, the man then went on the run, with a huge police force, including a helicopter, in pursuit, and has been shot.
A police operation including a helicopter is under way in Heidingsfeld, a part of the city of Wurzburg in southern Germany.
Local media (in German) tweeted that 20 people had been injured and a suspect appeared to have been shot.
The train line between Wurzburg-Heidingsfeld and Ochsenfurt is closed.
4 victims are reportedly critical, 1 moderately, and 14 being treated for shock.
No details as yet on the ethicity of the attacker but we would imagine the opposition AfD party will benefit further from the chaos as Merkel appears to be losing control.
WTF is this world coming to?