Frontrunning: August 22
- Majority of Swiss Polled Back SNB Currency Operations (Bloomberg)
- Merkel, Van Rompuy Caution Against Euro Bonds (Bloomberg)
- Italy’s Debt May Swell as Austerity Chokes Growth (Bloomberg)
- Jackson Hole Build Up (FT)
- China Previews Rising Leadership (WSJ)
- Gaddafi Regime Collapsing (FT)
- Prosecutor to drop Strauss-Kahn case: report (Reuters)
- Inflation a danger for safe havens (FT)
- Syria Revolt Fueled by Roof Fires and Tweets (WSJ)
- Smithers Sees ‘Significant’ S&P 500 Rally (Bloomberg)
- Layoffs sweep Wall Street, along with low morale (Reuters)
- Japan July Supermarket Sales Post 2nd Y/Y Rise on Heat Waves (Market News)
- Balanced Budget Acts as Dumb in Europe as in U.S. (Bloomberg)
Global highlights courtesy of Egan-Jones:
- Brent oil falls near $105 as Libyan rebels overrun most of Tripoli, threaten to topple Gadhafi.
- German economy still on course for 3% growth rate in 2011.
- Osram files new complaints in lighting patent battles with South Korean companies.
- South Africa speaks of compromise and incremental progress ahead of
climate change talks.
- Symbol of inter-Korean cooperation faces demise as North vows to scrap
Seoul resort assets.
- Thailand's economy shrank in 2Q to 0.2% as auto production falls in aftermath
of Japan tsunami.
- World stock markets mixed amid fears US economy is slipping back into recession.
- Yen, Franc weaken amid speculation Japan, Switzerland ready to intervene.
- Amlin swings into loss of $250M in 1H on 'unprecedented' catastrophe losses.
- Bain Capital LLC agreed to buy MYOB Pty. Ltd., deal worth about $1.2B.
- BlueScope Steel sheds 1,000 jobs to turn around $1.1B annual loss.
- China Construction Bank 1H profit up 31% to $14.5B on higher fee, interest income.
- China Windpower reports 1H net income of HK$237M.
- Gazit-Globe Ltd Q2 profit grew to $70M, rental income higher.
- GTC posts loss in Q2 of 36.5M Euros on revaluation of assets due to slowdown in
- Hollywood's Legendary, China's Huayi Bros raise $220.5M for co-production venture. n Jyske Bank profit falls below consensus hurt by adjustments to its investments and
nearly flat income.
- Kenya's Standard Group 1H profits rise 6.5% to $2.48M due to sharply weakened
local currency and high oil prices.
- Maybank Q4 profit up 27% helped by robust regional loans growth but sees
pressure on margins.
- Micro Focus International Plc ends takeover talks with private-equity firms, resumes
- Renesola adopts Rights Plan to defend shareholders if bid made. n Verizon strikers return to work.
- advertisements -