Back in October, Zero Hedge discussed a Costco offer for Shelf-Reliance THRIVE's one year's supply of dehydrated, freeze dried food, better known as "apocalypse rations." Six months ago a one year's supply of food for one person which included 5,011 total servings (84 #10 cans) could be purchased for $799.99 (the link for the offering is here, or rather was, here). A series of events made us encounter a comparable THRIVE offering at Costco. To our amazement in six months, the real price inflation in apocalypse rations, when factoring proportioning, is almost 50%! While the original set that was presented back in October is no longer available, what Costco does offer is a Shelf Reliance THRIVE 6 month supply supply for the price of $579.99: this represents the pinnacle of that ultimate in inflation disguising techniques: cutting the price by X while cutting the amount offered by Y>>>X. Indeed, to last a person a full year, one would need to be two of the 6 month supplies for a price of $579.99 or $1,159.98. And even that has to be indexed: the current set has 2,470 total servings, whereas the previous offer had 5,011, or 203% more. In other words, to index for the proper serving ratio the final price is actually $1,176.65. We can only hope that there are those who purchased this product when we first presented it (and don't worry, with a 25 year shelf life, it lasts a looooong time) and saved themselves the 47% inflation in 6 months! And then there are non THRIVE product offerings, such as the one below for 2 people for 3 months for $999.99 (and includes its own 55 gallon water storage set), which represents price inflation well over 100% for those who need a little extra caloric kick (and, naturally, post-apocalypse social status with the neighbors). Something tells us in another 6 months, the Costco price today will be just as lamented as the price from 6 months ago currently is.
And for those for whom greeting apocalypse in style means price is no object...
A description of the "cost-effective" apocalypse ration:
Shelf Reliance is known for providing unsurpassed quality in all of its products, and their line of food storage is no different. THRIVE Food Storage is a premium name you can trust. Every THRIVE product has been carefully selected based on taste and quality, and we are confident that you will look forward to using THRIVE in your everyday meal planning and emergency food storage.
This THRIVE Package was built to provide a 6 month supply of food for 1 person. This package offers a variety of grains, vegetables, and protein-rich foods, along with comforting goodies like chocolate milk, fudge brownies, and strawberries. Adding this package of 54 cans to your long-term storage will provide extra flavor, nutrition, and energy when you need it most.
For questions or additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your the item number and description that corresponds with your question.
- Shipment arrives in 9 separate boxes
- 2,470 total servings
- Freeze-dried products have up to 25 year shelf life if unopened
- Dehydrated products have up to 20 year shelf life if unopened
- TVP products have up to a 10 year shelf life if unopened
- Shelf life varies per can/product (see individual cans for optimum shelf life suggestions)
- All items are suitable for vegetarian diets
- Wheat can be easily milled into flour, and non-milled kernels can be cooked to make a variety of recipes
- Easy rehydration instructions, useful tips, and recipes on each can
This THRIVE 6 Month Food Supply contains 54 #10 (gallon size) cans. See below for specific package contents.
- 2 cans of Instant White Rice (48 servings per can)
- 6 cans of Hard White Winter Wheat (44 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Elbow Macaroni (25 servings per can)
- 2 cans of 6 Grain Pancake Mix (46 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Cornmeal (46 servings per can)
- 4 cans of Freeze Dried Potato Dices (41 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Freeze Dried Sweet Corn (46 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Freeze Dried Green Peas (41 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Freeze Dried Green Beans (50 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Freeze Dried Broccoli (52 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Freeze Dried Mushroom Pieces (47 servings per can)
- 1 can of Freeze Dried Spinach (41 servings per can)
- 3 cans of Freeze Dried Strawberries (45 servings per can)
- 1 can of Carrot Dices (49 servings per can)
- 1 can of Mixed Bell Peppers (42 servings per can)
- 3 cans of Non-fat Powdered Milk (43 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Chocolate Drink Mix (48 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Bacon TVP (47 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Beef TVP (44 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Chicken TVP (45 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Taco TVP (42 servings per can)
- 1 can of Pinto Beans (49 servings per can)
- 1 can of Lentils (51 servings per can)
- 1 can of Black Beans (49 servings per can)
- 1 can of Kidney Beans (44 servings per can)
- 1 can of Lima Beans (49 servings per can)
- 2 cans of Fudge Brownies (75 servings per can)