Self-admitted 'crazy-guy-at-every-cocktail-party', Santiago Capital's Brent Johnson believes there is something really wrong in the world today. But as he notes as an introduction to his presentation, "while I am not naive to the way the world works, I at least want to try to make it better." Rather than tell us what we should do, he tells us what he believes in the hope that just maybe, we may believe in many of the same things... for instance, that despite the S&P 500 returning to its all-time highs, the real economy has not recovered; that holding interest rates at less than 1% for 5 years is an indicator of a recession if not a depression and that the fact that that middle class jobs have not returned is indicative of an economy in trouble. This brief but full presentation is a litany of all that is wrong today - see how many of his 'beliefs' you agree with...
- S&P is at highs but the real economy has not recovered
- Rates at 0% is indicative of a recession or maybe a depression
- middle class jobs have not returned signals an economy in trouble
- and that these the three put together is a major problem
- it is impossible to borrow your way out of debt...
- or spend your way to prosperity
- our representatives in Washington do not think the rules of mathematics do not apply to them
- very few people understand the power of the exponential curve
- and recognizing it when its right in front of you (national debt)
- that this system puts our kids in jeopardy (owing $350,000 at the age of 4)
- most people think these problems are so far off in the future that it is senseless to worry about them now
- they are wrong
- See Something, Say Something should be applied to our government - we should tell our neighbors what our government is doing
- Nikita Kruschev had at least one thing right, politicians are the same all over, "they promise to build a bridge even where there is no river."
- Leadership starts at the top (and drops off fast from there) - and you gotta call them on their bullshit (Bush abandoning free-markets to save free markets & Obama 'stopping these ridiculous wars' and still fighting them 5 years late)
- It is wrong that the Attorney General openly admits that large banks are 'too big to jail'
- It's wrong when guys in suits and ties get off easy (Cassano, Corzine, Mozilo), yet organic farmers and young entrepreneurs have their business closed down and lives ruined - so the Justice Department can send a message that noone is above the law.
- The greatest trick the world's central bankers ever pulled was convicing you they were on your side.
- They are not.
- That Cyprus will not be able to live up to the terms of the latest bailout, and
- It won't be long before the ECB comes back for round 2
- Once the confidence in fiat currency is gone, its over...
- It's still a beautiful world, and that
- Most people want the same things in life, to be left alone to make their own decisions and live life the way they see fit
and one last thing
- It is better to deserve honors and not have them, than to have honors and not deserve them...