UPDATE: Tepco Orders Evacuation of Fukushima Power Plant Workers
Via RT: Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has ordered the evacuation of workers from near the sea wall at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant following the earthquake, local NHK reports.
People in coastal regions around the Fukushima Prefecture coastline have been advised to move to higher ground.
"Marine threat is in place," the Japan Meteorological Agency said. "Get out of the water and leave the coast immediately."
Japan's Met Agency has revised up its magnitude reading to 7.1 for quake off Fukushima coast. Shaking intensity map: pic.twitter.com/B1rXp3u1Ca— Hiroko Tabuchi (@HirokoTabuchi) October 25, 2013
A 7.3 (according to USGS) magnitude earthquake just struck 311 miles ENE of Tokyo at a depth of 10km. The Pacific Tsunami Center has issued a warning and VOA reports a 1-meter high tsunami could hit Fukushima coast at 02:40 local - 1340ET)...
Tsunami warning region (yellow):
it seems the eathquake is shrinking (are Japanese officials quantitatively easing down expectations)...
- 1319ET - *MAGNITUDE 7.6 QUAKE HITS 311 MILES ENE OF TOKYO: PT TSUNAMI
- 1323ET - FLASH: 7.5-MAGNITUDE QUAKE HITS OFF COAST OF JAPAN -- USGS
- 1324ET - *USGS: MAGNITUDE 7.3 - OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU
- 1327ET - URGENT: Magnitude-6.8 quake hits Japan's Fukushima region
- 1331ET - AP NewsAlert: Magnitude 7.3 Earthquake Strikes Off Fukushima