Ukraine's Independence Square is ablaze
Days after Kazakhstan broke out is tanks post-devaluation, the promise to "Restore order by all means envisaged" is under way in Ukraine as military vehicles are being mobilized into the city center (and fighter jets are being reported overhead). As Martin Armstrong so eloquently noted recently, "the Western powers represented by the EU and the US have nothing to stand on to protect Ukraine and can only offer lip-service at best. So once again, it appears that Ukraine is doomed and the best one can hope for there, is that Russia will allow the West to leave. The countdown goes forward and the political and economic crisis is indicative of what we see with the first shot across the bow in the rising trend of the Cycle of War." The US has 'demanded' an end to the violence...
- *UKRAINE POLICE ATTACK DEMONSTRATORS WITH WATER CANONS ON MAIDAN
- *POLICE MOVE IN ON OPPOSITION CAMP IN KIEV CENTER, AP SAYS
- *UKRAINE POLICE FORCE ATTACKING INDEPENDENCE SQUARE FROM 3 SIDES
Two jet aircrafts, presumably military, have appeared over Maidan in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev, the mass media report.
The economy is collapsing:
- *UKRAINE JAN. INDUSTRIAL OUTPUT FALLS 16.0% IN MONTH (largest on record)
Things are rapidly deteriorating...
- *KLITSCHKO URGES UKRAINIANS TO FLOCK TO INDEPENDENCE SQUARE
- *KLITSCHKO SAYS MAIN TASK TO AVOID BLOODSHED
- *KLITSCHKO SAYS UKRAINE FORCES MAY STORM INDEPENDENCE SQUARE
- *KLITSCHKO URGES WOMEN, CHILDREN TO LEAVE INDEPENDENCE SQUARE
- *UKRAINE RIOT POLICE AMASS ON PERIMETER OF INDEPENDENCE SQUARE
The death toll is rising (and hundreds are injured)
- *UKRAINE INTERIOR MINISTRY SAYS ONE POLICEMAN SHOT DEAD TODAY
- *UKRAINE SAYS 37 POLICEMAN INJURED IN CLASHES WITH PROTESTERS
- *UKRAINE OPPOSITION SAYS 3 KILLED IN CLASHES, 7 CRITICAL
- *TWO MORE DEAD BODIES DISCOVERED AMID KIEV PROTESTS: INTERFAX
The world condemns...
- *EU'S ASHTON `DEEPLY WORRIED' ABOUT RENEWED UKRAINE VIOLENCE
- *GERMANY TO MAKE ALL EFFORTS TO RESOLVE CONFLICT: STEINMEIER
- FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER FABIUS CONDEMNS VIOLENCE IN KIEV (FR)
- *SIKORSKI SAYS UKRAINE URGENTLY NEEDS POLITICAL COMPROMISE
- *US DEMANDS YANUKOVYCH END VIOLENCE IN KIEV, AFP SAYS
And now the military vehicles are rolling: