The phone-calls are flying. On the heels of yesterday's Obama-Putin "discussion", today has seen Merkel drop him a line (with the resultant claim that Putin has accepted a "fact-finding mission" despite all evidence to the contrary); and then Merkel, Obama, and Cameron got on a party-line to discuss "sanctions". In the face of this seriousness, we suspect, however, any of the calls to Putin all had a similar dialogue...
h/t @SooperMexican and @LibertyBlitz
Lots of "Calls" in the last 24 hours...
- *OBAMA CALLING MERKEL AND CAMERON TODAY ON UKRAINE: OFFICIALS
- *MERKEL CALLED ON PUTIN TO RESPECT UKRAINE TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY
- *NATO CALLS ON RUSSIA TO DE-ESCALATE TENSIONS, RASMUSSEN SAYS
- *ITALY CALLS ON KIEV TO MAKE EVERY EFFORT FOR PEACE, STABILITY
- *ITALY CALLS ON RUSSIA TO AVOID AGGRAVATING UKRAINE SITUATION
- *AKHMETOV CALLS FOR UKRAINE TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY TO BE ENSURED
- *UKRAINE'S PM CALLS FOR PEACEFUL RESOLUTION TO CRISIS
- *UKRAINE'S PM CALLS ON PUTIN TO REFRAIN FROM STARTING WAR
- *OBAMA CALLS HEADS OF FRANCE, CANADA, TO DISCUSS UKRAINE CRISIS
- *OBAMA CALLS ON RUSSIA TO DE-ESCALATE TENSIONS IN UKRAINE
- *UN SECRETARY GENERAL CALLS FOR IMMEDIATE UKRAINE CALM: NESIRKY
- *U.K.'S HAGUE CALLS FOR `DE-ESCALATION OF TENSIONS' IN UKRAINE
- *TYMOSHENKO CALLS FOR ACCORD WITH EU TO BE SIGNED IN DAYS
- *KLITSCHKO CALLS FOR GENERAL MOBILIZATION IN UKRAINE
- *RUSSIA LAWMAKERS CALL ON PUTIN TO DEFEND CRIMEA POPULATION: RIA
- *CRIMEA'S PRIME MINISTER CALLS ON PUTIN TO ASSIST: INTERFAX
- *U.S. CALLS ON RUSSIA TO PULL BACK MILITARY FORCE IN REGION
- *MERKEL CALLS FOR RESTRAINT OVER CRIMEA
- *CAMERON CALLS PUTIN TO DISCUSS SITUATION IN UKRAINE
President Barack Obama discussed the Ukraine crisis with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in a phone call on Sunday and underscored:
"(The primary point) in all of his calls has been to underscore the complete illegitimacy of Russia's intervention" in the Crimea region of Ukraine, the official told reporters in a conference call.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Obama planned shortly to make the same point in conversations with the British prime minister and the Polish president.