Minutes after Russia denied it had issued an ultimatum to the Ukraine navy, Ukraine's acting president has just denied the denial.
- UKRAINE'S TURCHYNOV SAYS SHIPS THREATENED IF ARMS NOT LAID DOWN
- UKRAINE'S TURCHYNOV SAYS SHIPS THREATENED WITH SEIZURE
- UKRAINE'S TURCHYNOV SAYS SITUATION AROUND FLEET IS DANGEROUS
- UKRAINE'S TURCHYNOV SAYS RUSSIA INCREASING CRIMEA FORCES
- UKRAINE'S TURCHYNOV SAYS RUSSIAN BLACK SEA FLEET HAS BLOCKED UKRAINIAN NAVY VESSELS IN SEVASTOPOL BAYS
- TURCHYNOV SAYS SITUATION DIFFICULT IN EASTERN UKRAINE
- TURCHYNOV CALLS ON RUSSIA TO STOP AGGRESSION
What is curious here is that while it is clear why Russia would benefit from an escalation in hostilities in the Crimea, on which it did not "start" - i.e., allowing it a clear pretext to enter the "east" and "protect" its citizens - what is becoming clear is that it is Ukraine that is desperate to raise the level of hostilities. Why - if it is to force the hand of NATO, EU or the west in providing assistance, this is a wild gambit, which will backfire massively.