At shortly after 1945ET, a massive 8.2 (revised up from 8.0) earthquake hit close to the coast of Chile:
- *MAGNITUDE 8.0 QUAKE HITS OFF COAST OF CHILE, USGS REPORTS
- *CHILE QUAKE MAGNITUDE REVISED UP FROM 8.0 TO 8.2 BY USGS
- *FLASH: TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED AFTER MAGNITUDE 8.0 QUAKE HITS OFF
- *QUAKE CUTS ELECTRICITY SUPPLY TO MUCH OF ARICA, CHILE: TVN
The BBC reports the quake was shallow (which means it felt more powerful) and the tsunami wave's arrival is imminent. Copper prices are jumping on the news as the region is an active mining area.
For some context of how big this is...
The Tsunami warning:
The tsunami zone...
and the potential travel zone of the Tsunami
And the evacuation
A major earthquake of magnitude 8.0 struck off the coast of Chile on Tuesday, near the mining area of Iquique, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
It was centred 86km (56 miles) north-west of the mining area of Iquique.
It said the quake was very shallow, only 10 kilometres below the seabed, which would have made it feel stronger. It was centred 86 kilometres northwest of Iquique.
A tsunami warning for the Pacific coast of South America has been issued.
- *TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL IS IMMINENT, CHILE EMERGENCY OFFICE SAYS
- *NOAA SAYS READINGS INDICATE TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED BY QUAKE
- *NOAA: TSUNAMI MAY HAVE BEEN DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COAST NEAR QUAKE
- *FIRST TSUNAMI WAVES REACH CHILE COAST, RADIO COOPERATIVA SAYS
- *CHILE MAGNITUDE 8.0 QUAKE HIT AT DEPTH OF 10 KMS, USGS SAYS
- *CHILE TSUNAMI OF 1.8 METERS REACHES IQUIQUE, TVN REPORTS
Of course this is just the natural and unforeseeable phenomenon that shocked the global economy in Japan
- *CHANCE OF TSUNAMI TO BE HIGHER THAN 1.8M REPORTED: TRESGRAVE
- *CHILE TO GET 'DAMAGING WAVES' FOR AT LEAST COUPLE HRS: FRYER
- *HAWAII MAY GET ADVISORY FROM TSUNAMI POST CHILE QUAKE: FRYER
- *N.Z. MAY GET 'DANGEROUS CURRENTS' WHEN TSUNAMI ARRIVES: FRYER