When I see the results of polls like the one below, I realize there is no chance the majority will do anything to reverse the course of our nation in terminal decline. It will take a complete collapse and bloody reset before we have a chance at putting this country back on a sustainable rational course.
How the fuck can Americans actually think terrorism should be Obama and Congress’ top priority? Are Americans really that stupid? WTF do they want Obama and Congress to do? Double the DHS budget? Increase electronic surveillance on our communications? Give local police more military hardware? Ban guns? Repeal the 4th Amendment?
Do the ignorant masses know their actual chances of being killed by a terrorist? To say the chances are astronomically miniscule is an understatement. See for yourself:
- You are 35,079 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
- You are 33,842 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack
- You are 23,528 times more likely to die from obesity than from a terrorist attack
- You are 5,882 times more likely to die from medical error than terrorism.
- You are 4,706 times more likely to drink yourself to death than die from terrorism.
- You are 1,904 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack.
- You are 2,059 times more likely to kill yourself than die at the hand of a terrorist.
- You are 452 times more likely to die from risky sexual behavior than terrorism.
- You are 353 times more likely to fall to your death doing something idiotic than die in a terrorist attack.
- You are 271 times more likely to die from a workplace accident than terrorism.
- You are more than 9 times more likely to be killed by a law enforcement officer than by a terrorist.
- You are 110 times more likely to die from contaminated food than terrorism.
What policies do Americans want Obama and Congress to prioritize in 2015? According to the Pew Research Center’s policy priorities survey, 76 percent of people in the United States believe tackling terrorism should be the nation’s top priority this year. It is the first time in four years terrorism has made the top of Pew’s list and its appearance for 2015 can be attributed to economic improvement as well as persistant terrorist threats.
Despite considerable improvement, the economy is still an area of concern for Americans and 75 percent of them want President Obama to give it attention. Job creation is closely linked to economic improvement so it comes as little surprise that it rounds off the top three with 67 percent of respondents expecting it to be prioritized.
* * *
The fact Americans think terrorism is our top priority proves that Edward Bernays was an evil genius. The combination of mass media and propaganda can convince the willfully ignorant and dumbed down populace of anything. Facts are unnecessary when fear and feelings are far more powerful. We are truly doomed.