With The Donald once again firmly back in the lead of the GOP presidential nominee race...
He decided that he would "live tweet" President Obama's address tonight on "keeping America safe."
Hope he won't spend too much time ripping apart the 2nd. Amendment!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 7, 2015
Is that all there is? We need a new President - FAST!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 7, 2015
Well, Obama refused to say (he just can't say it), that we are at WAR with RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISTS.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 7, 2015
President Obama looked decidely tired...
Here is the full speech...
AP details the speech...
President Barack Obama says the American Muslim community needs to be a partner in the fight against radical Islam.
Obama says Muslims can send credible, effective counter messages and undermine jihadist propaganda.
Obama's remarks were part of a prime-time address on the threat of terrorism and the fight against the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria. At least one of the suspected shooters in the past week's massacre in San Bernardino expressed support for the Islamic State online.
Obama is calling the Islamic State "thugs, killers" and a "cult of death." He says they represent a "tiny fraction" of the Muslim community.
The president says the West is not at war against Islam. He is cautioning Americans not to single out Muslims.
President Barack Obama says the U.S. can and must make it harder for would-be mass shooters to kill by making it harder for them to obtain guns.
Obama is giving an Oval Office address on terrorism and the U.S. response following attacks in California and Paris. He's calling for Congress to prohibit people suspected of terrorism or on the no-fly list from buying guns.
Obama says he knows some people reject all gun safety measures. But he says no matter how effective law enforcement and intelligence is, they can't identify every would-be shooter. Obama says it's a matter of national security to prevent those people from getting guns.
Obama has urged stricter gun laws following the California shootings, but like previous mass shootings, those calls have met resistance from gun control opponents. Gun rights advocates oppose the no-fly list proposal because they say it violates the rights of people who haven't been convicted of a crime.
President Barack Obama says he understands why Americans are worried about the threat of terrorism but is reassuring Americans the U.S. will overcome it.
Obama says "we will prevail by being strong and smart." He says Americans cannot give into fear.
President Barack Obama says it's clear the two killers in the California shootings had gone down the "dark path of radicalization."
Obama is giving an Oval Office address on terrorism and the U.S. response following attacks in California and Paris. He's calling it an "act of terrorism designed to kill innocent people."
Obama says the killers had stockpiled weapons and ammunition. But Obama says there's no evidence the killers were directed by a terrorist organization overseas. He says there's also no evidence they were part of a broader network in the U.S.
ome headlines from what appeared very much a repetition of previous vacuous speeches...
- *OBAMA: `NO EVIDENCE' SHOOTERS DIRECTED FROM TERRORISTS OVERSEAS
- *OBAMA CALLS CALIFORNIA SHOOTING `AN ACT OF TERRORISM'
- *OBAMA SAYS GROWING EFFORT TO POISON MINDS ONLINE
- *OBAMA: THREAT FROM TERRORISM IS REAL, WE WILL OVERCOME IT
- *OBAMA SAYS U.S. WILL HUNT DOWN TERRORISTS WHEREVER NECESSARY
- *OBAMA SAYS WILL URGE TECH LEADERS TO WORK W/ LAW ENFORCEMENT
- *OBAMA REITERATES CALL FOR CONGRESS TO PASS GUN LAWS
- *OBAMA: LAWMAKERS MUST MAKE IT HARDER FOR PEOPLE TO KILL
- *OBAMA REITERATES WANTS NEW FORCE AUTHORIZATION ON ISLAMIC STATE
- *OBAMA SAYS MUSLIM LEADERS MUST OPPOSE ISLAMIC STATE'S IDEOLOGY
- *OBAMA: IT'S `OUR RESPONSIBILITY' TO REJECT ANTI-ISLAM MEASURES
- *OBAMA SAYS `FREEDOM IS MORE POWERFUL THAN FEAR'
So, to sum up:
- Domestically, terrorism is here and we need gun control, internet censorship, to disable encryption, and to work with "Muslim allies" to fix it.
- Abroad, Congress needs to agree to Obama's demands to do more bombing... because that seems to have worked.
BREAKING: Obama warns of more Sunday night speeches if ISIS not defeated— John Flowers (@MrJohnFlowers) December 7, 2015