In an otherwise dreary manufacturing recession landscape, one in which even the services sector is getting increasingly more troubled by the day, and where nothing the Fed says or does can keep animal spirits inflated, there was one ray of light: the one company that benefits from over a billion people posting pictures of their dogs or stalking their significant other's best friend: Facebook.
Moments ago Mark Zuckerberg's social network reported that in Q4 it generated $5.84 billion in revenue, far higher than the $5.37 billion expected...
... driven entirely by an ongoing surge in mobile users. Indeed, of the 1.038 billion DAU at Dec. 31...
... over 90%, or 934 million, were mobile, an increase of 25%. As the company notes, mobile advertising revenue represented approximately 80% of advertising revenue, up from 69% in Q4 2014.
Even more impressive is that somehow, nearly 1.6 billion people 1.6, or about a quarter of the world's entire population, supposedly visits Facebook at least once a month. Furthermore, Facebook represents that over 60% of the total US and Canada population - this includes tens of millions of children and eldery - is a monthly Facebook user. We are a little sceptical about this, but surely the management team would never lie.
Another notable chart is the number of monthly only users which rose by almost 100 million in the past quarter rising to 823 million, or about 80% of total.
The key highlights of the quarter:
- Mobile advertising revenue - Mobile advertising revenue represented approximately 80% of advertising revenue for the fourth quarter of 2015, up from 69% of advertising revenue in the fourth quarter of 2014.
- Capital expenditures - Capital expenditures for the fourth quarter of 2015 were $692 million.
- Cash and cash equivalents and marketable securities - Cash and cash equivalents and marketable securities were $18.43 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2015.
- Free cash flow - Free cash flow for the fourth quarter of 2015 was $2.14 billion.
And the full year :
- Revenue - Revenue for the full year 2015 was $17.93 billion, an increase of 44% year-over-year.
- Income from operations - Income from operations for the full year 2015 was $6.23 billion.
- Net income - Net income for the full year 2015 was $3.69 billion.
- Free cash flow - Free cash flow for the full year 2015 was $6.08 billion.
- Daily active users (DAUs) - DAUs were 1.04 billion on average for December 2015, an increase of 17% year-over-year.
- Mobile DAUs - Mobile DAUs were 934 million on average for December 2015, an increase of 25% year-over-year.
- Monthly active users (MAUs) - MAUs were 1.59 billion as of December 31, 2015, an increase of 14% year-over-year.
- Mobile MAUs - Mobile MAUs were 1.44 billion as of December 31, 2015, an increase of 21% year-over-year.
Finally, while earnings for FB remain irrelevant, here is the net income broken down between GAAP and non-GAAP"