27-Year-Old Syrian Suicide Bomber Behind German Music Festival Attack That Injured 12

Update 2: The suspect behind an explosion that injured 12 people in Bavaria was a 27-year-old asylum seeker from Syria, Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann says early Monday. The suspect, who arrived in Germany two years ago, died in the blast. He had been refused asylum, Bavarian authorities told a press conference. His application was rejected a year ago but the man was allowed to stay in Germany temporarily, due to ongoing hostilities in Syria.

Police say they do not yet known if the attacker had any radical Islamist background. The investigations is currently focused on attacker’s communications.

*  *  *

Update 1: "A man, according to our current knowledge the perpetrator, died" in the blast they said in the short statement. Further details weren't immediately available and they did not pick up their telephone lines.

*  *  *

As we detailed earlier, capping an awful week for Germany (and France), an explosion in the city of Ansbach, originally reported as a gas leak, has been confirmed as being caused by "an explosive device."

As The Telegraph reports, one person is dead (believed to be the bomber) and at least 11 more injured as the explosion occured shortly after 10pm outside a wine bar near the entrance to an open-air music festival, where there were some 2,500 people in attendance. The festival was shut down as a precaution.

With Germany already on high alert following the events in Reutlingen and Munich.

On Sunday, 21-year-old asylum-seeker from Syria killed a woman, reported to be pregnant, with a meat cleaver in the southern German town of Reutlingen.

 

Only two days earlier an 18-year-old man killed nine people in a shooting near a shopping centre in Munich, before turning the gun on himself.

One person has been killed and another 11 injured in an explosion at a cafe in the Bavarian city of Ansbach. (via The Telegraph)

A spokesman for the Bavarian Interior Ministry said the explosion was not an accident and appears to have been intentional.

 

 

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann was en route to the site, the spokesman said.

 

The blast killed one person and injured 11 others in the Bavarian city, police confirmed late on Sunday. It said the cause of the blast was unknown.

 

 

The blast a at Eugene's Wine Bar triggered a large-scale police operation involving police, rescue workers and one helicopter, Sky News said.

 

The blast was initially reported to have been caused by a gas leak.

 

News agency Dpa reports that an open-air concert nearby with some 2,500 in attendance was shut down as a precaution after the explosion.

 

Additionally,  AP reports that

Police in the southern German city of Ansbach say the man was killed when an explosive device he was believed to be carrying went off near an open-air music festival,

The only question left now is how long before an otherwise patient German population react after three apparent mass attacks in one week?