- Police say a Syrian refugee killed a woman with a machete and wounded two others outside a bus station in the southwestern German city of Reutlingen before being arrested.
- Police spokesman Bjoern Reusch said in a statement Sunday that witnesses said the 21-year-old man, who was known to police, was having an argument with the woman before attacking her about 4:30 p.m. Police say the motive behind the attack is still not clear.
- The attack comes as Germany is on edge following a rampage at a Munich mall on Friday night in which nine people were killed, and an ax attack on a train a week ago by a young Afghan migrant that left five wounded in southern Germany.
- Police said the attacked in Reutlingen had caused injury previously, but did not give details, reports the BBC.
- For many Germans, the tipping point was New Year's Eve in Cologne. Most of the suspects identified in connection with an extensive series of robberies and sexual assaults in Cologne during New Year's celebrations were later identified as refugees by Germany prosecutors.
* * *
Update 4: The man was identified as a Syrian asylum seeker, aged 21, who was previously known to law enforcement, the local police department said in a statement. The motives of the man are still unclear; the murdered woman was reportedly pregnant.
* * *
Update 3: A video has been released showing the allegedly Syrian refugee attacked "running around."
Reutlingen— R?f???l (@70219) July 24, 2016
attacker running around
women frantically on the phone pic.twitter.com/aLQoxbjWlZ
* * *
Update 2: The perpetrator had an argument with a woman near the central bus terminal in Reutlingen, and during the altercation severely injured the woman using a machete.
The woman died of her injuries at the scene, police said. The perpetrator was then detained near the scene “in minutes” after the incident but managed to injure another woman and a man, police added.
The eye witnesses described the attacker to Bild as "fully insane," adding that he tried to attack a police car with his machete.
* * *
Update: according to Sky News, the machete-wielding attacker in Reutlinger was a Syrian refugee who acted alone.
Update - German police say they believe Syrian refugee armed with machete who killed woman and injured two others in #Reutlingen acted alone— Sky News Newsdesk (@SkyNewsBreak) July 24, 2016
* * *
And the hits just keep on coming. With the police still trying to piece together the story behind Friday's Munich attack, moments ago Bild reported that a man with a machete murdered a woman, and injured two others in the downtown area of the southern German town of Reutlingen. The attacker - who appears to have been inspired by last Monday's axe-wielding slasher who pledged allegiance to ISIS in a YouTube testimony - has been arrested by the police.
BREAKING - German media reports one dead two injured in machete attack in town of Reutlingen near Stuttgart— Mark White (@skymarkwhite) July 24, 2016
GERMANY: Man with machete kills a woman, injures 2 other people in Reutlingen, Germany. attacker arrested. PHOTOS: pic.twitter.com/ld4kuAZfeR— KolHaolam (@KolHaolam) July 24, 2016
The motive behind the attack is unclear. The incident took place near a doner kebab stand at Listplatz square, Germany’s Bild Reports.
Photos posted on social media show the alleged perpetrator lying on the ground, restrained by police officers. Police have confirmed that the man was arrested after he had used a machete to kill a woman and injure two more people in Reutlingen.
According to initial unconfirmed report, the attacker was Muslim.