The debate started with 'no handshakes' once again and while there was no 'dancing' around the ring, a quiet, polite start rapidly turned ugly once the two candidates warmed up. Second Amendment supporting Trump slammed babyslaying Clinton; questions over who was the biggest "puppet"; Trump declined to support election result and threw a "such a nasty woman" comment across the stage. While it was a close-call between Trump and Hillary, for once we suggest Chris Wallace wins tonight.
Who won tonight's debate?— Frank Luntz (@FrankLuntz) October 20, 2016
• 14 say Trump
• 12 say Clinton
• 4 say it was a draw#DebateNight
- *TWITTER SAYS MOST DEBATE CONVERSATION ABOUT TRUMP, 59%-41%
- *TRUMP HAD 56% SHARE OF FACEBOOK CONVERSATION, CLINTON 44%: STMT
* * *
Round 1 - SCOTUS - Clinton Win
- Trump subdued, focused on Pro-life, second Amendment, defending constitution
- Clinton better able to discuss details, knows constitutional court details better.
Round 2 - IMMIGRATION - Trump Win
- Trump pushed stronger borders, Clinton focused on "ripping families aprt"
- Clinton claimed Trump choked on the wall.
- Clinton pivot to blame Russia for leaks on 'open borders' thrown back in her face.
- Argument over who is 'puppet'
Round 3 - THE ECONOMY - Tie
- Hillary claimed "will add no debt" - which as we know means no growth.
- Trump slams NAFTA, more of the same Obama policies with Clinton
Round 4 - FITNESS TO BE PRESIDENT - Tie
- Sexual harrassment allegations denied aggressively.
- Wikileaks documents and pay-to-play hard to argue with.
- Why does Hillary take Saudi money when they kill gay people?
- Trump focused on donors/special interests when Hillary brought up taxes.
- "Rigged" discussion well argued by Trump but Hillary made him look 'whiney' and his comment "I will leave you in suspense" did not sound good.
Round 5 - FOREIGN HOTSPOTS - Trump Win
- Hillary claims she will defeat ISIS, Trump attacks by pointing out 'element of surprise'.
- Hillary eloquent, Trump less hawkish.
- Using WikiLeaks, Trump lands one of his cleanest blows of the night. "John Podesta said some horrible things about you. And he was right."
Round 6 - NATIONAL DEBT - Trump Win (Hillary un-credible)
- Focused on Obamacare costs to start
- Clinton tax wealthy but no growth
- Trump "massive tax cuts"
- Biggest lie of the night Clinton: "I pay for everything I'm proposing. I do not add a penny to the national debt."
Round 7 - CLOSING STATEMENT - Tie
- *CLINTON, IN CLOSING ARGUMENT, SAYS WANTS TO BENEFIT ALL IN U.S.
- *TRUMP SAYS CLINTON WIN WOULD BE FOUR MORE YEARS OF OBAMA PLANS
Finally, Mexican Peso settled it...
But then someone panic bid Peso to 'prove' Hillary won?
But of course, just as we started the day...
Trump's refusal to concede an election day loss now leading Politico, CNN, NYT, WaPo, WSJ, LAT and BuzzFeed. pic.twitter.com/UQPfq15558— CJR (@CJR) October 20, 2016
* * *
- *CLINTON SAYS CENTRAL ELECTION ISSUE WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY TO BE
- *SUPREME COURT NEEDS TO SIDE WITH U.S. PEOPLE, NOT COS.:CLINTON
- *CLINTON: MY COURT NOMINEES WOULD STAND UP TO THE `POWERFUL'
- Clinton mind-blowingly talked about dark-money in politics and its effects on the election.
Clinton: "There's no doubt that I respect the Second Amendment."
Clinton: "I respect the tradition of gun ownership," but we must have "reasonable regulation"
Hillary Clinton said she supports the Second Amendment while touting the need for comprehensive reform to the nation's gun laws.
"I see no conflict between saving people's lives and defending the Second Amendment," she said.
The Democratic nominee called for comprehensive background checks and closing the gun show lope hole.
- *TRUMP SAYS SUPREME COURT IS `WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT'
- *TRUMP SAYS SUPREME COURT UNDER CLINTON THREATENS 2ND AMENDMENT
- *TRUMP: MY JUSTICES WILL BE `PRO-LIFE,' CONSERVATIVE
Trump: "Justice Ginsburg made some very, very inappropriate statements toward me"
- *CLINTON: I WILL DEFEND ROE V WADE, PLANNED PARENTHOOD
- *CLINTON SAYS TRUMP USING `SCARE RHETORIC' ON ABORTION, HEALTH
- *TRUMP: ROE V WADE COULD GET OVERTURNED IF HIS JUSTICES ADDED
Trump on abortion: "With what Hillary is saying, in the ninth month, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother" pic.twitter.com/FF8rQWWtSl— NBC News (@NBCNews) October 20, 2016
- *TRUMP REITERATES ARGUMENT FOR STRONGER BORDERS TO COUNTER DRUGS
"There are some bad hombres here and we're going to get 'em out"
- *CLINTON SAYS `MAJOR DISAGREEMENTS' WITH TRUMP ON SUPREME COURT
- *CLINTON ON DEPORTATIONS: I DON'T WANT TO RIP FAMILIES APART
- *CLINTON SPEAKS ON HOW TO DEAL WITH UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS
- *CLINTON SAYS TRUMP `CHOKED' IN MEXICO TRIP
- *CLINTON SAYS TRUMP USED UNDOCUMENTED LABOR TO BUILD TRUMP TOWER
Clinton attempted to pivot away from being pinned on immigration to raising Russia...
“You are very clearly quoting from WikiLeaks,” Clinton said. “What is really important about WikiLeaks is that the Russian government has engaged in espionage against Americans. They have hacked American websites, American accounts of private people, of institutions. Then they have given that information to WikiLeaks for the purpose of putting it on the internet. This has come from the highest levels of the Russian government.”
Clinton called on Trump to reject “Russian espionage.”
Trump shot back: “That was a great pivot off the fact that she wants open borders.”
Clinton called Trump "a puppet"...
- *CLINTON: RUSSIA ESPIONAGE ON ELECTIONS SYSTEM AT HIGHEST LEVELS
3. THE ECONOMY
- *CLINTON: WANT TO HAVE BIGGEST JOBS PROGRAMS SINCE WORLD WAR II
- *CLINTON: TRUMP'S ECO PLAN COULD LEAD TO ANOTHER RECESSION
- *TRUMP SAYS CLINTON ECONOMIC PLAN IS A `DISASTER'
- *TRUMP SAYS U.S. ALLIES SHOULD `PAY UP' FOR DEFENSE COSTS
- *TRUMP SAYS WOULD RENEGOTIATE NAFTA, IF HE CAN'T WOULD END IT
- *CLINTON SAYS TRUMP HAS `CROCODILE TEARS' OVER OUTSOURCING
- *TRUMP: U.S. ECONOMY IS `STAGNANT'; SAYS LAST JOBS REPORT BAD
- Hillary: "I wont add a penny to the debt"
- *TRUMP TO CLINTON: YOU TALK BUT YOU DON'T GET ANYTHING DONE
"She totally lied about TPP... she did call it the gold standard"...
"I am going to renegotiate NAFTA"
4. FITNESS TO BE PRESIDENT
- *TRUMP ON SEXUAL MISCONDUCT ACCUSATIONS: IT'S ALL LIES, FICTION
Clinton belittles women...
Clinton: "While I was monitoring the Osama bin Laden raid, he was hosting The Apprentice"...
When Clinton took aim at past violence at Trump's rallies, he shot back by saying "she caused the violence." He's referencing new videos from conservative filmmaker James O'Keefe, whose newly-released hidden camera footage purports to show Democratic operatives plotting chaos at a Trump rally in Chicago. O'Keefe has been accused in the past of using selectively-edited video and duping interviewees.
- *CLINTON DESCRIBES CLINTON FOUNDATION AS WORLD-RENOWNED CHARITY
- *CLINTON SAYS SHE'S HAPPY TO COMPARE HER FOUNDATION W/ TRUMP'S
Clinton Foundation a criminal enterprise...
- *TRUMP DECLINES TO SAY IF HE'LL ACCEPT ELECTION RESULT
- *TRUMP ON IF HE'LL ACCEPT ELECTION RESULT: I'LL LOOK AT THE TIME
- *CLINTON ON TRUMP NOT SAYING HE'D ACCEPT RESULT: `HORRIFYING'
Definitely a problem for Trump...
5. FOREIGN HOTSPOTS
- *CLINTON: WON'T BACK U.S. TROOPS IN IRAQ AS OCCUPYING FORCE
- *TRUMP: WE'LL TAKE MOSUL EVENTUALLY, BUT WHO'S GOING TO GET IT?
- *TRUMP: IRAN IS TAKING OVER IRAQ, WE'VE MADE IT SO EASY FOR THEM
- *TRUMP SAYS SYRIA'S ASSAD MUCH SMARTER THAN PEOPLE THOUGHT
- *TRUMP: IF ASSAD FALLS IN SYRIA, YOU MAY WIND UP WITH WORSE
Using WikiLeaks, Trump lands one of his cleanest blows of the night. "John Podesta said some horrible things about you. And he was right."
"Whatever happened to the element of surprise?"
6. NATIONAL DEBT
Quickly focused on Obamacare costs
- *OBAMACARE PROBABLY WILL DIE OF ITS OWN WEIGHT, TRUMP SAYS
- *TRUMP REITERATES CALL TO REPEAL, REPLACE OBAMACARE LAW
- *CLINTON SAYS WILL `NOT CUT BENEFITS' FROM SOCIAL SECURITY
And with the biggest lie of the night... Clinton: "I pay for everything I'm proposing. I do not add a penny to the national debt."