With almost 90% of the nation disapproving of him, it hardly a surprise that French President Hollande just told the nation that "for the good of his country" he will not run for Presidency in 2017 saying he was “conscious of the risks” a candidacy would have caused.
The unprecedented decision was driven by his historically low popularity ratings.
“Power and the exercise of power have not made lose my lucidity. And today, I am conscious of the risks that would create my candidacy for the majority,” he said in a solemn televised address on Thursday evening. “Therefore I have decided not to run for president for president”
He has had some of the worst approval ratings for a president in modern French history.
Polls so far indicated that Mr. Hollande, who has struggled to significantly reduce unemployment and whose term saw some of the worst terrorist attacks on French soil, would not make it past the first round of the elections, which will be held in April.
As Bloomberg reports,
French President Francois Hollande said he won’t run for re-election next year, stunning the country and potentially opening the way for Prime Minister Manuel Valls to run in his place.
Speaking in a televised address, Hollande acknowledged some mistakes, defended his record, and said he was putting the country’s needs ahead of his personal ambition.
He warned against the danger of protectionism and France turning in on itself.
While not unexpected it is imporant as it leaves the Republic likely to vote for the right wing Fillon or Right-er wing Le Pen.
Hollande's prime minister Manuel Valls has hinted strongly that he will run instead in a bid to unite the fractured Socialist party against centre right candidate François Fillon and far right National Front leader Marine Le Pen.