Milo Yiannopoulos' Book Deal Canceled By Simon & Schuster

Publishing giant Simon & Schuster has canceled the publication of "Dangerous" by Milo Yiannopoulos. Publishers Weekly tweeted Monday that the company was canceling the book's publication "after careful consideration."

Shortly after the tweet, Yiannopoulos confirmed in a Facebook post that "They canceled my book." Simon & Schuster inked the book deal with Yiannopoulos - which spurred controversy as writers threatened to boycott the company - at the end of December.

The decision to cancel the book came amid controversy over a video in which Yiannopoulos was said to defend pedophilia, although the outspoken commentator has denied that to be case. The video clip gained traction on social media after a conservative blog shared it Sunday. In the video, Yiannopoulos said relationships between older men and young boys can be beneficial.

In a Facebook post Monday, Yiannopoulos denounced the claims that he was advocating for pedophilia. "I am a gay man, and a child abuse victim,” Yiannopoulos wrote. 

"I would like to restate my utter disgust at adults who sexually abuse minors. I am horrified by pedophilia and I have devoted large portions of my career as a journalist to exposing child abusers. I've outed three of them, in fact -- three more than most of my critics. And I've repeatedly expressed disgust at pedophilia in my feature and opinion writing. My professional record is very clear.”

"But I do understand that these videos, even though some of them are edited deceptively, paint a different picture.”

It was the second Facebook post from Yiannopoulos after the tapes resurfaced.

"I'm partly to blame. My own experiences as a victim led me to believe I could say anything I wanted to on this subject, no matter how outrageous,” he continued in the Monday post. "But I understand that my usual blend of British sarcasm, provocation and gallows humor might have come across as flippancy, a lack of care for other victims or, worse, 'advocacy.' I deeply regret that."

The excuse however failed to stem public blowback: earlier in the day, the Conservative Political Action Conference rescinded its invitation Monday for Yiannopoulos to speak at its event.  ACU Chairman Matt Schlapp said Yiannopoulos' attempts to address the tapes have fallen short, calling the remarks "disturbing." "We realize that Mr. Yiannopoulos has responded on Facebook, but it is insufficient," Schlapp said in a statement. "It is up to him to answer the tough questions and we urge him to immediately further address these disturbing comments."

Meanwhile, according The Hill, the blowback against Milo's statements has even threatened his job at Breibart where employees are reportedly prepared to leave the company if controversial senior editor Milo Yiannopoulos is not fired.

Another senior editor at the publication told Washingtonian Monday that "at least a half dozen" employees are prepared to leave to organization because of remarks  Yiannopoulos made about pedophilia that gained attention this weekend.

 

“The fact of the matter is that there’s been so many things that have been objectionable about Milo over the last couple of years, quite frankly. This is something far more sinister,” the senior editor said. “If the company isn’t willing to act, there are at least half a dozen people who are willing to walk out over it.”

Comments

No comments yet! Be the first to add yours.