Trump may be traveling, but the bad news for the president never stops, and while we await tonight's daily "Russia collusion blockbusters" from the WaPo and the NYTimes, the president got some even more bad news after NBC reported that a Federal Appeals court has upheld the ban on Trump's travel plan.
As NBC explains, a Richmond, VA-based federal appeals court on Thursday refused to reinstate President Trump’s ban on nationals from six majority-Muslim countries from entering the U.S., delivering a major blow to the Trump administration.
The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals said in its ruling that Trump’s executive order "speaks with vague words of national security, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination" and noted that the President's power to deny entry to immigrants is "broad" but "not absolute."
“It cannot go unchecked when, as here, the President wields it through an executive edict that stands to cause irreparable harm to individuals across this nation,” he wrote.
The court’s decision keeps a Maryland court’s order blocking the ban in place.
The government’s appeal of that order was heard by the court’s full panel of 13 judges.
Though Judge Stephanie Thacker concurred with the court’s decision to keep the stay in place, she said she would have not have considered the remarks Trump made about banning Muslims while on the campaign trail. Those comments took centerstage during oral arguments earlier this month as the judges grappled with whether they should be considered, the Hill adds.
The new ban was announced in March, but was never effected because federal courts blocked it just hours before it was set to go into effect. It would have banned people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen from entering the US for 90 days and all refugees for 120 days.
Full ruling below (link):