This is a developing story...
Update: 4:40 p.m.
The New York Daily News and ABC are now reporting that three US soldiers died in an attack in Eastern Afghanistan for which the Taliban have now claimed responsibility. Government sources had earlier said two soldiers died.
Vice President Mike Pence, speaking in Wisconsin on Saturday, offered his condolences to the victims’ relatives.
"On my way here I was informed that U.S. service members were killed and wounded in an attack in Afghanistan," Pence said. "The president and I have been briefed; the details of this attack will be forthcoming. But suffice it to say, when heroes fall, Americans grieve. And our thoughts and prayers are with the families of these American heroes."
So called green-on-blue attacks aren’t uncommon in Afghanistan and happen for various reasons. The frequency of attacks spiked in 2012, but have reduced after better vetting practices were put in place, ABC reported.
Update: 1:20 p.m.
The AP is now reporting that the Taliban have taken credit for the attack. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement that a Taliban loyalist had infiltrated the Afghan army "just to attack foreign forces."
A statement from the U.S. military said merely that the military was "aware of an incident in eastern Afghanistan."
White House spokesman Raj Shah told reporters traveling with the President Donald Trump in New Jersey that Trump was "following the emerging situation in Afghanistan."
Two US soldiers have been killed after an Afghan army soldier opened fired on them in eastern Afghanistan, an Afghan official told the Associated Press.
Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor in Nangarhar province, told the AP Saturday that two other US soldiers were wounded in the attack, which took place in the Achin district.
He said the Afghan soldier was killed after the attack.
The insider attack was similar to an incident in March, when an Afghan soldier opened fire at a base in Helmand Province, wounding three US soldiers.