And The Nation That 'Cannot Live Without The Internet' The Most Is...

Have you ever thought about what life would be like without the internet?

Given the volume of time people spend immersed in their smartphones, iPads and laptops, an unconnected life is pretty hard to imagine these days. For the majority of millennials, the time before the world wide web is now nothing more than a distant memory, a memory that's been eviscerated by the ubiquity and life-changing impact of connected technology.

Interestingly, Statista's Niall McCarthy notes that it isn't just millennials who are losing touch with a world without smartphones, emails and social media. Research from Ipsos has found that society in general just can't live without the internet.

Infographic: Where People Can''t Live Without The Internet  | Statista

You will find more statistics at Statista

18,180 people were surveyed across 23 countries, with more than two thirds of them saying they cannot imagine a life that isn’t prefixed by www dot.

While 73 percent of Americans said they cannot imagine an unnconnected life, the highest share was recorded in India at 82 percent.

Comments

Common_Law CHX13 Wed, 08/30/2017 - 03:09 Permalink

This is a completely biased survey. What about the hundreds of millions  in  India and china who have no access to the internet? Were they surveyed? Or are they slightly under represented due to sampling bias. Same with off grid Americans or more likely the ones who don't spend enough time online to take an online survey.This looks like it's more weighted towards GDP not the actual population. ie India's tech support industry.

In reply to by CHX13

CHX13 Wed, 08/30/2017 - 02:52 Permalink

At some point there will be a rude awakening for many out there, as the world will again be much larger and life more local. Sustainability will prove to be a b!tc# as well as the only ultimate solution.

Latitude25 (not verified) Wed, 08/30/2017 - 02:55 Permalink

When you survey people using the Internet, what do you expect the results to be?  Most Indians don't even have internet.  Idiotic survey.

Rebelrebel7 (not verified) Wed, 08/30/2017 - 02:56 Permalink

I was sans internet for 3 weeks in June. I was a little nervous. I read actual books. Opportunity costs.

merizobeach Rebelrebel7 (not verified) Wed, 08/30/2017 - 03:09 Permalink

I was off the internet for nearly three years until this spring.  Mostly sucked and the only ZH I could read were printouts mailed to me.  On the upside, I read over a hundred books, mostly classic literature, and wrote a couple novels.  Handwriting, over a thousand pages.  Learned how to make my hand write legibly again.  Snail mail.  Thousands of pushups.  Weird times.Missed ZH like crazy.  Came back, and I see how much it has changed..  Wow.  All new Tylers--and not for the better, sadly.  Makes the internet feel strangely small.

In reply to by Rebelrebel7 (not verified)

Shue Wed, 08/30/2017 - 02:58 Permalink

Being a builder I can't do without the Internet because of necessity not because of the shitty Social networking which I think the majority of people surveyed would die without.

KuriousKat Wed, 08/30/2017 - 03:18 Permalink

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mayakachroolevine/2016/10/09/people-are-pl… reports that third party candidates are likely to get about 10% of the vote this year, compared to 2% of the vote in 2008 and 2012. Currently, Statista has Clinton at a 41.1% favorability rating, and Trump at a 37.1% rating, as of September 28. Following the first debate, Statista reported that 62% of Americans polled thought Clinton won the debate, and 27% thought Trump won. As of today, FiveThirtyEight predicts Hillary Clinton having a 81.3% chance of winning the election, versus Donald Trump's 18.7% chance. nuff said

European American Wed, 08/30/2017 - 03:28 Permalink

I'd love to see "IT" go down. Gnashing of teeth. Sweating profusely. Anxiety attacks. Oh my, what would they do? What could they do without that coaxial plugged into the base of their cranium. Total melt down of an entire generation(s). Bring it on! We all need a good dose of Reality, for a change.

DIGrif Wed, 08/30/2017 - 05:24 Permalink

Have you ever thought about what life would be like without the internet?  Why yes I have.....I am old enough to remember life BEFORE the internet let alone the home PC. When I think about it, I am not so sure we wouldn't be much better off without it.

Koba the Dread DIGrif Wed, 08/30/2017 - 22:20 Permalink

And there are those of us who remember life before TV. As a boy in the 1940s there were only two radio stations in my town of Raleigh, NC. But we had six movie theaters. Those were the days. Endless pleasant conversation with a little music in the background then LET'S ALL GO TO THE MOVIES!Oh, and the NAZIs were on the other side of the earth, not tearing down statues downtown..

In reply to by DIGrif

East Indian Wed, 08/30/2017 - 05:45 Permalink

Most Indians lack a decent Internet connection. However, the surprising result is because the government has shifted a lot of its services over to the Internet. Train tickets, normal banking and some basic services all are now "web-based". And add Whatsapp, Skype and Facebook, all now in the mobile phone. Whatsapp has killed the sms and even voice calls. That's why the common Indian is getting hooked to the Internet.And the whole India is under PRISM. They love Google, Facebook and Twitter. I end up looking like a Luddite whenever I try to alert them to the reality.

smacker Wed, 08/30/2017 - 05:49 Permalink

"Given the volume of time people spend immersed in their smartphones, iPads and laptops, an unconnected life is pretty hard to imagine these days."Excuse me, what about those of us who use DESKTOPS which we build ourselves and don't install all that try-and-buy M$ & Goolag junk s/w?;-)

Koba the Dread Wed, 08/30/2017 - 05:59 Permalink

Statistica is, as always, total bullshit. 82% of Indian respondents can't live without the internet it says. Considering that perhaps 99% of Indians have never even used the internet, which pool did Statistica pull it's "respondents" from? Let's see, hmmm. It went to IT Alley in Bangalore and snagged twenty trendy IT types and polled them. How about the guy herding water buffalos or the chai wallah on the corner or. . .well, you get it.Boring click bait.

webmatex Wed, 08/30/2017 - 06:07 Permalink

No internet = no walmart = no power = be careful what you...  = on a long enough time...Too late were fucked.We did open a beautiful new public library in town though (Angouleme)  much bigger, more books, thats france! 

floosy Wed, 08/30/2017 - 06:13 Permalink

I distinctly remember working when you had a desk phone and that was it.  If you weren't at your desk when it rang you missed the call.  No voicemail either.  And if you called someone and they didn't answer you weren't "shocked" that they didn't call you/message you right back, you just tried again later.Life WAS much less stressed then because it wasn't a constant bombardment of phone calls. sms, messeger notifications, emails  etc etc etcEven today when I am working I turn off email and my mobile is on DND so I can concentrate without constant interruptions.Oh and back then...if you didn't know the answer to a question, your colleagues (whom you actually spoke to) didn't know and there wasn't an actual physical book with the answer in it somewhere in the office you where shit out of luck.  So you tended to remember the important things and ignore the trivial crap and think for yourself.Nowadays people are distracted, unproductive, illiterate, innumerate, unthinking morons who just do whatever the "internet" tells them to do and think.