- "Without gold I would have starved to death" - Ewald Nowotny, governor of Austrian central bank and member of ECB’s governing council
- "I was born in 1944. When I was a baby, my mother could only buy food because she still had some gold coins..."
- "When the going gets tough, gold becomes the ultimate money" reports Die Presse
In the vault: Austrian Central Bank director Kurt Pribil, ECB Governor Nowotny and "Press" editor Nikolaus Jilch. - The Press (Clemens Fabry)
Under central bank governor Ewald Nowotny, Austria has brought back half of its gold reserves into the country. But why? What is the fascination of gold today? Why does a central bank store tons of shiny metal in their cellars? And what makes Nowotny himself gold? "Die Presse" visited the gold reserves below the central bank with the governor - and discussed their importance in an interview.
The press: Almost every person has a personal relationship with the gold. How is yours?
Ewald Nowotny: I grew up in a purely urban family. We had no relatives in the country. I'm born in 1944. When I was a baby, my mother could only buy food because she still had some gold coins. Without gold I would have starved. She always told me that. Therefore, this generation already has a certain gold affinity. In extreme times of crisis, this is one of the few things left to be accepted. Gold was the only thing left to the people of the city at that time. Before the silver cutlery was also traded at the farmer.
Are you yourself invested in gold?
News and Commentary
Gold Prices (LBMA AM)
07 Jun: USD 1,298.30, GBP 963.86 & EUR 1,097.97 per ounce
06 Jun: USD 1,295.25, GBP 964.57 & EUR 1,101.48 per ounce
05 Jun: USD 1,292.25, GBP 966.73 & EUR 1,105.13 per ounce
04 Jun: USD 1,294.65, GBP 966.46 & EUR 1,103.82 per ounce
01 Jun: USD 1,299.15, GBP 976.83 & EUR 1,111.42 per ounce
31 May: USD 1,303.50, GBP 978.54 & EUR 1,113.58 per ounce
30 May: USD 1,298.60, GBP 979.27 & EUR 1,119.26 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
07 Jun: USD 16.74, GBP 12.44 & EUR 14.15 per ounce
06 Jun: USD 16.55, GBP 12.33 & EUR 14.06 per ounce
05 Jun: USD 16.39, GBP 12.26 & EUR 14.03 per ounce
04 Jun: USD 16.44, GBP 12.29 & EUR 14.03 per ounce
01 Jun: USD 16.42, GBP 12.32 & EUR 14.02 per ounce
31 May: USD 16.55, GBP 12.42 & EUR 14.17 per ounce
30 May: USD 16.37, GBP 12.33 & EUR 14.08 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
- Swiss Government Pension Fund To Buy Gold Bars Worth Some €600 Million
- Turkey Uses Gold Bullion To Stabilise Its Currency And Economy
- Case for Gold in a Diversified Investment Portfolio
- Get “Positioned In Gold” Now As “You Will Not Have Time To Get Positioned” Later
- Consequences of Ignoring Economic Reality Are Dangerous
- Are Gold And Silver Bullion Obsolete In The Crypto Age?
- In Gold we Trust: 3 Important Factors Leading to the “Turning of the Monetary Tides”
- Silver Trading in Tight $1 Range As Pressure Builds For A Breakout
- Gold Back Above $1300 – Trump Cancels Historic Summit – Silver “Ready To Breakout”
- Gold Price Surges To Record In Turkey and Other Emerging Markets as Currencies Collapse
- Gold Rarity and Value Shown In Stunning Gold Visualisations
- Gold Looks A Better Investment Than UK Property
- Gold 2048: The Next 30 Years For Gold