- World Cup weighs nearly 200 ounces (6.17 kilos) and is 18 Karat or 75% pure gold
- World Cup's value is just £140,000 at today's depressed prices
- 30% less than England's Harry Kane's weekly wage of £200,000
- World Cup fever takes over England ahead of semi final tonight
- World Cup's true value is priceless to players and nations
The World Cup is worth at today's gold prices a measly £140,000 (around $186,200 or €160,000) which interestingly enough is 30% less than England's soccer star Harry Kane who is paid £200,000 in wages every single week.
The World Cup trophy itself is legendary. Many fans don’t know if it is gold plated or pure 24 karat gold? How much does it weigh and what is its worth in gold?
The World Cup weighs 6.177 kilogrammes which is equal to 198.6 troy ounces as 1 kilogramme is equal to 32.15 troy ounces . One troy ounce of investment grade gold which is 24 karat or 0.9999 pure is worth USD 1,250, EUR 1,067 and GBP 944 at today's prices.
Interestingly, this time four years ago, gold was trading at USD 1,245, EUR 914.45 and GBP 742.69 per ounce. So gold remains at similar prices in dollar terms but has seen gains in euros and pounds. Gold has retained its purchasing power and acted as a hedge against the declining value of the pound and the euro.
The current World Cup, commissioned in 1974, stands 36.8 centimeters high, weighs 6.177 kilogrammes or 198.6 troy ounces and is made of solid 18 karat gold.
The World Cup is one of the oldest international sporting competitions in the world, established in 1930 and remains one of the most popular sporting competitions in the world. Over 3 billion people are expected to watch at least one minute of the tournament and nearly a billion people are expected to watch at least one minute of the final in Russia.
The trophy for this grand event has changed from the Jules Rimet Trophy (originally named Victory) from 1930 to 1970, to the 'FIFA World Cup Trophy' from 1974 to the present day, but the fans enthusiasm whether you call it football or soccer, remains at fever pitch.
The original trophy was an amalgamation of gold plated sterling silver and a deep blue colored semi precious stone. Unfortunately, this ornate object was stolen in 1983 and there has been no sighting of it since.
Today's winners of The World Cup only receive a replica of the trophy, which is just gold plated rather than the actual solid 18 karat gold trophy.
The present World Cup's “crown’s” design is by Italian artist Silvio Gazzaniga, chosen from among fifty-three submissions by sculptors in seven countries. The name of the country whose national team wins each tournament is engraved on the bottom side of the trophy.
So while the World Cup is worth less than many star players weekly wage, it's true value is priceless to the players and nations that win it.
Best of luck to England and Croatia today! We wish England well in 'Bringing football home' !
News and Commentary
Gold Prices (LBMA AM)
10 Jul: USD 1,253.70, GBP 946.17 & EUR 1,069.41 per ounce
09 Jul: USD 1,262.60, GBP 946.95 & EUR 1,072.70 per ounce
06 Jul: USD 1,254.20, GBP 947.55 & EUR 1,071.09 per ounce
05 Jul: USD 1,252.50, GBP 946.89 & EUR 1,071.64 per ounce
04 Jul: USD 1,256.90, GBP 951.47 & EUR 1,079.80 per ounce
03 Jul: USD 1,245.85, GBP 944.85 & EUR 1,068.81 per ounce
02 Jul: USD 1,249.00, GBP 948.87 & EUR 1,072.39 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
10 Jul: USD 15.93, GBP 12.04 & EUR 13.61 per ounce
09 Jul: USD 16.21, GBP 12.15 & EUR 13.76 per ounce
06 Jul: USD 16.00, GBP 12.09 & EUR 13.66 per ounce
05 Jul: USD 15.95, GBP 12.04 & EUR 13.65 per ounce
04 Jul: USD 16.05, GBP 12.15 & EUR 13.78 per ounce
03 Jul: USD 15.93, GBP 12.08 & EUR 13.68 per ounce
02 Jul: USD 15.98, GBP 12.14 & EUR 13.73 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
- Chaotic BREXIT More Likely: Risk To London, While Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Paris and Dublin Benefit
- VIDEO: Italy €2.4 Trillion Debt To Create Eurozone Contagion and Global Debt Crisis?
- U.S. China Trade War Escalates as Russia and China Accumulate Gold
- Irish Gold Money Rings Found – Mystery Surrounds What May Be Ancient, Pre-Historic Currency
- Gold $10,000 In Currency Reset? Russia, China Gold Demand To Overwhelm Gold Futures Manipulation (GOLDCORE VIDEO)
- Italian Debt – A Financial Disaster Waiting To Happen
- As The Currency Reset Begins – Get Gold As It Is “Where The Whole World Is Heading”
- Buy Gold Or Bitcoin As The “Liquidity Party” Is Ending?
- Why Russia and Turkey Diversifying Into Gold May Signal A Bigger Global Shift
- London House Prices Fall 1.9% In Quarter – Bubble Bursting?
- Gold Exports To London From U.S. Surge 152% In 2018
- Manipulation of Gold & Silver by Bullion Banks Is “Undeniable”
- “Perfect Environment For Gold” As Fed Will Weaken Dollar and Create Inflation – Rickards
- Russia Buys 600,000 oz Of Gold In May After Dumping Half Of US Treasuries In April
- In Gold, Silver and Bitcoin We Trust? Goldnomics Podcast with Ronald-Peter Stoeferle
- Own A “Bit Of Gold” As We Are Moving Ever Closer To A Trade War