Gold is set to surge over the next year as concerns deepen about the widening U.S. budget deficit and a tariff-driven trade war starts to damage the country’s economy, according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
Bullion could average $1,350 an ounce in 2019 as corporate tax reforms worsen the U.S. fiscal balance, Francisco Blanch, head of global commodities and derivatives research, said in a phone interview last week. Spot gold traded at $1,198.82 on Monday and has averaged about $1,285 this year.
“We’re still pretty constructive longer term on gold,” because of worries over the future of the U.S. economy even though it’s performing relatively well right now, said New York-based Blanch. “In the short run, the effects of strong dollar, higher rates dominate. But in the long run, a huge U.S. government budget deficit is pretty positive for gold,” he said.
The warning over the budget echoes billionaire hedge fund manager Ray Dalio, who predicted this month that the U.S. economy is about two years from a downturn, which will see the dollar plunge as the government prints money to fund a swelling deficit. Goldman Sachs Group Inc. has also joined the chorus of bulls, seeing gold at $1,325 in 12 months. Bullion has been building a base around $1,200, after five months of losses, the worst run since 2013.
Full article on Bloomberg
News and Commentary
Gold Prices (LBMA AM)
24 Sep: USD 1,198.75, GBP 913.69 & EUR 1,018.70 per ounce
21 Sep: USD 1,207.60, GBP 914.88 & EUR 1,025.25 per ounce
20 Sep: USD 1,203.00, GBP 910.55 & EUR 1,027.72 per ounce
19 Sep: USD 1,203.00, GBP 912.48 & EUR 1,028.44 per ounce
18 Sep: USD 1,199.40, GBP 913.94 & EUR 1,026.81 per ounce
17 Sep: USD 1,196.80, GBP 914.00 & EUR 1,027.21 per ounce
14 Sep: USD 1,206.20, GBP 918.76 & EUR 1,030.58 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
24 Sep: USD 14.32, GBP 10.90 & EUR 12.17 per ounce
21 Sep: USD 14.33, GBP 10.87 & EUR 12.18 per ounce
20 Sep: USD 14.23, GBP 10.75 & EUR 12.14 per ounce
19 Sep: USD 14.18, GBP 10.76 & EUR 12.13 per ounce
18 Sep: USD 14.21, GBP 10.81 & EUR 12.16 per ounce
17 Sep: USD 14.17, GBP 10.81 & EUR 12.15 per ounce
14 Sep: USD 14.22, GBP 10.83 & EUR 12.15 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
- Goldnomics Podcast: Silver Guru – David Morgan – Silver and Gold Will Protect in the Coming Currency Collapse
- This Week’s Golden Nuggets – Dalio’s Dollar Crisis, Fitt’s U.S. Government “Missing” $21 Trillion and Silver Guru’s End of Empire
- Dalio Warns Of Dollar Crisis – “History Is Doomed To Repeat Itself”
- Silver Guru Video: “The End of Empire and End of Fiat Currencies”
- Silver Is ‘Undervalued’ Relative to Stocks, Bonds, Gold – GoldCore
- We Are In “Never Never Land” Accounting As U.S. Government Is “Missing” $21 Trillion
- This Week’s Golden Nuggets – BOE Warns Of UK House Price Crash
- Video: BREXIT To Contribute To London Property Bubble Bursting
- Australia’s Banking System May Be The “Bloody Big Butterfly” Which Triggers Next “Financial Storm”
- Ten Years Since Lehman: Biggest Driver of 2008 Financial Crisis Has Only Got Worse