The pound has fallen 2.6% against gold in less than twenty four hours seeing gold rise from £923 to £947 per ounce in sterling terms.
The pound slumped the most in more than 17 months as several U.K. ministers resigned less than 24 hours after Prime Minister Theresa May said she had won cabinet approval for a deal with the European Union.
Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab handed in his resignation to Theresa May over the controversial Brexit proposal.
Mr Raab said he could not support the Prime Minister's withdrawal agreement from the European Union. He wrote: “It has been an honour to serve in your government as Justice Minister, Housing Minister and Brexit Secretary. I regret to say that following the Cabinet meeting yesterday on the Brexit deal I must resign."
Financial analysts are concerned about the more 'extreme' outcomes to Brexit talks and that potential worst case Brexit risks may now come about.
This makes the pound vulnerable to further falls into year end and in 2019. Longer term, the pound is likely to weaken further as Brexit uncertainty and fallout impacts the slowing UK high street, prperty market and wider economy.
Gold's record nominal high in sterling terms over £1,120 per ounce looks like being surpassed in 2019 with gold prices just 20% below that now.
News and Commentary
Gold Prices (LBMA AM)
14 Nov: USD 1,201.45, GBP 927.04 & EUR 1,066.05 per ounce
13 Nov: USD 1,197.55, GBP 928.70 & EUR 1,066.18 per ounce
12 Nov: USD 1,207.05, GBP 940.05 & EUR 1,072.34 per ounce
09 Nov: USD 1,219.05, GBP 936.96 & EUR 1,075.81 per ounce
08 Nov: USD 1,223.45, GBP 932.02 & EUR 1,071.01 per ounce
07 Nov: USD 1,235.05, GBP 938.64 & EUR 1,074.62 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
14 Nov: USD 13.97, GBP 10.80 & EUR 12.39 per ounce
13 Nov: USD 14.02, GBP 10.85 & EUR 12.46 per ounce
12 Nov: USD 14.16, GBP 11.00 & EUR 12.57 per ounce
09 Nov: USD 14.34, GBP 11.01 & EUR 12.63 per ounce
08 Nov: USD 14.49, GBP 11.06 & EUR 12.70 per ounce
07 Nov: USD 14.67, GBP 11.15 & EUR 12.77 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
- GoldCore Capitalising On Brexit With Dublin Gold Vault
- Store Gold In The Safest Vaults In Ireland
- Investors Set To Store Gold In Dublin Due To Brexit Risks
- Investors Start Buying Gold ETFs In October In Bullish Shift
- As Brexit Looms and Stocks Plunge In October – Now May Be The Time to Invest in Gold
- AMERICAN ELECTIONS FARCE AS POLITICIANS IGNORE THE LOOMING $121.7 TRILLION DEBT CRISIS
- Gold ETFs See Strong Demand In Volatile October After Robust Global Gold Demand In Q3
- Venezuela Seeks To Repatriate $550 Million Of Gold From London
- Big Short’s Eisman Is Shorting Two U.K. Banks on Brexit
- “Red October” Highlights Importance of Rebalancing Portfolios and Gold’s “Very Positive” Outlook
- Alarm Bells Ring and Gold Rises In October As Stocks and Property Fall Globally
- Gold Analysts At LBMA See 25% Return To $1,532/oz In 12 months
- Gold Improves Investment, Pension and Central Bank Portfolio’s Risk-Adjusted Returns