Chicago Sues Jussie Smollett Over "Refusal To Reimburse City" For Hoax Investigation

The city of Chicago has filed a civil complaint against Jussie Smollett, who has failed to reimburse the city for the cost of investigating a hate-crime they say the Empire actor perpetrated. 

The lawsuit "follows his (Smollett) refusal to reimburse the City of Chicago for the cost of police overtime spent investigating his false police report on January 29, 2019," according to a city law department spokesman. 

Last week Fox News reported that the city had planned to draft the civil complaint in order to "pursue the full measure of damages allowed under the ordinance."

Smollett told police in late January that he was attacked by two masked men as he was walking home from a Subway sandwich shop in an upscale Chicago neighborhood at around 2 a.m. The actor - who is openly gay and black - said that the attackers recognized him from Empire and began shouting racial and homophobic slurs. 

It was later discovered that the two men, brothers from Nigeria, were associates of Smollett's who say the actor paid them $3,500 to stage the whole thing. 

Thursday's complaint goes on to note: "Defendant knew his attackers and orchestrated the purported attack himself. Later, when police confronted him with evidence about his attackers, he still refused to disclose his involvement in planning the attack."

It is also alleged in the suit that Smollett rescheduled the hate-crime hoax because his plane was delayed.

Furthermore: "Cell phone records indicate that at 12:49am, Defendant and Abel spoke by telephone. Defendant told Abel the attack should take place at 2:00AM at agreed upon location. Minutes later, Ola order an Uber to pick the brothers up at their home."

Smollett was hit with a bill for $130,000 last Thursday to cover "overtime hours in the investigation of this matter," adding that if the amount was not paid within seven days, the city might prosecute Smollett "for making a false statement" or "pursue any other legal remedy available at law.

At an estimated $125,000 per Empire episode, Smollett could have simply acted his way out of the civil suit - which makes two things he couldn't manage to pull off without a director. 

Two weeks ago, Smollett ducked 16 felony counts for lying to the police about the hate-crime hoax he staged, while his case was sealed. Justifying their actions, the Cook County State's Attorney's Office issued the following statement: "After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition & appropriate resolution."

In short; 'he did it, but we're dropping it.' 

Smollett, meanwhile, took a victory lap, undoubtedly high-fived his sisters who worked for President Obama, and proudly maintained his innocence. 

The dismissal of the investigation came after Michelle Obama's former Chief of Staff, Tina Tchen, pressured Chicago's top prosecutor, Kim Foxx, to transfer the case to the FBI. When that wasn't done, Foxx's office decided not to pursue the case

The dismissal seriously pissed off Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson. Emanuel called it a "whitewashing of justice," done "all in the name of self promotion." 

Watch that entire press conference below: