The State Department revealed in a letter to Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) that it had identified "multiple security incidents" committed by current or former employees who handled Hillary Clinton's emails, according to Fox News.
So far 23 "violations" and seven "infractions" have been issued as a part of the department's ongoing investigation - a number that will likely rise according to State Department Assistant Secretary in the Bureau of Legislative Affairs, Mary Elizabeth Taylor.
"To this point, the Department has assessed culpability to 15 individuals, some of whom were culpable in multiple security incidents," said Taylor in the letter to Grassley, adding "DS has issued 23 violations and 7 infractions incidents. ... This number will likely change as the review progresses."
Wow! The State Department said it has identified 30 Security Incidents involving current or former employees and their handling of Crooked Hillary Clinton’s Emails. @FoxNews This is really big. Never admitted before. Highly Classified Material. Will the Dems investigate this?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 18, 2019
Taylor called the matter "serious" and acknowledged that it was time consuming.
"Given the volume of emails provided to the Department from former Secretary Clinton's private email server, the Department's process has been necessarily more complicated and complex requiring a significant dedication of time and resources," she wrote, saying that the department expects to conclude its investigation by September 1.
What's the consequence for these "multiple security incidents?" An official slap on the wrist according to the report:
"In every instance in which the Department found an individual to be culpable of a valid security violation or three or more infractions, the Department forwarded the outcome to the Bureau of Diplomatic Security's Office of Personnel Security and Suitability (DS/PSS), to be placed in the individuals' official security file," wrote Taylor. "All valid security incidents are reviewed by DS and taken into account every time an individual's eligibility for access to classified information is considered."
"This referral occurred whether or not the individual was currently employed with the Department of State and such security files are kept indefinitely, Taylor added. "Consistent with the referral policy, for individuals who were still employed with the Department at the time of adjudication, the Department referred all valid security violations or multiple infractions to the Bureau of Human Resources."
Clinton's private email use has remained in the spotlight, as the DOJ looks into potential misconduct in the handling of federal authorities' surveillance and intelligence operations in 2016. Then-FBI Director James Comey said in 2016 that Clinton's handling of classified information was "extremely careless" -- remarks that were watered down from their original draft -- but that "no reasonable prosecutor" would bring charges.
It emerged earlier this year that then-FBI general counsel James Baker testified that he thought Clinton should have been prosecuted until he was convinced otherwise "pretty late" in the investigation. -Fox News
As former Utah GOP Rep. and current Fox News contributor Jason Chaffetz noted, "What's bizarre about this, is in any other situation, there's no possible way they would allow the potential perpetrator to self-select what the FBI gets to see, adding "The FBI should be the one to sort through those emails -- not the Clinton attorneys."