More than 170 aftershocks have been recorded following a 6.4-magnitude earthquake centered near Ridgecrest, southern California - the most powerful earthquake to hit the state in nearly 20 years.
My dads liquor store in Ridgecrest (11 miles from the earthquake) 🥴 pic.twitter.com/4RC0mY3eha— Zomo (@zomo_abd) July 4, 2019
One of the aftershocks was recorded at 5.4 magnitude, striking just northeast of Ridgecrest at 4:07 a.m. on Friday, according to the USGS, which says that there's a 20% chance of an earthquake of magnitude 6 or higher occurring in the next week, and an 80% chance of a magnitude 5 or higher quake, according to ABC15.
The possibility of a quake even larger than Thursday's is unlikely, however, standing at 9%.
"While it is always possible for large quakes to trigger an even larger quake, most do no," said the agency. "It's generally not possible to determine whether a given quake will turn out to be a 'foreshock' of a larger one."
Over the next few days, smaller earthquakes are likely, with up to 700 aftershocks of magnitude 3 or higher, according to the USGS. -ABC15
Thursday's earthquake lasted for around 30 seconds, and could be felt as far away as Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Scott Baio's tiny dog was visibly terrified.
I live in Ridgecrest. It was a rippling ride for about 30 seconds. Felt like my house was riding in waves back and forth. Walls along this road near me collapsed. #earthquake #CNN #RidgecrestEarthquake pic.twitter.com/tCl8a2keBm— Paul Kakert (@DocumentaryTV) July 4, 2019
According to the USGS system for estimating fatalities and economic loss, Thursday's trembler caused between $10 and $100 million in losses. Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden declared a state of emergency amid five fires and broken gas lines across the city of 28,000.
One resident, Kimberly Washburn, was directing a children's July 4th program when the building began to shake, startling the 65 children on stage, who began screaming.
"It was terrifying," she said.
One boy was injured when something fell on his foot, but Washburn said they were blessed that more weren't hurt. After they evacuated, a wall fell behind where the children had been performing, she said.
In Kern County, the earthquake's epicenter, the fire department responded to more than 20 incidents relating to the earthquake and aftershocks, including fires and medical emergencies, the department said. -ABC15