Reuters is reporting that according to a press report released to reporters in Athens, a Greek government spokesman has said that despite rumors, all have agreed that Greece will remain part of the Eurozone. And from Bloomberg: "Greece is an integral part of the euro area and recent decisions to meet budget targets will help shield the economy, the Greek government said in a statement today following a call between Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Nicolas Sarkozy." Well, at least Greece has agreed to not blow itself up. Now... if only enacting this theory into practice was as easy as releasing a statement.
And some more from Bloomberg:
- SARKOZY, MERKEL `CONVINCED' GREECE TO REMAIN IN EURO, because, you see, Greece is desperate to bail.
- GREECE MUST STRICTLY ENFORCE BUDGET PROGRAM, SARKOZY SAYS
- PAPANDREOU CALL WITH MERKEL, SARKOZY IN GOOD CLIMATE: SPOKESMAN: 72 degrees, zero humidity, balmy, not a cloud in the sky
- PAPAPANDREOU DETERMINED TO ENFORCE DEBT-CUT PLAN, SARKOZY SAYS
- GREEK GOVERNMENT SATISFIED WITH CALL WITH MERKEL, SARKOZY
- GREEK BUDGET CUTS TO PAVE WAY FOR EURO STABILITY, SARKOZY... And this time the budget cuts will work. Seriously.
And, no, nothing about how Greek debt will be treated. But remember: that debt exchange is going swimmingly... at least according to Greece.Greece PR