print-icon
print-icon
Add ZeroHedge as a preferred source on Google

Iran Shifts From Defensive To 'Fully Offensive' Posture, Denies Trump Has Backchannel With IRGC

Tyler Durden's Photo
by Tyler Durden
Authored...

Summary

  • Iran goes "fully offensive": Tehran threatens escalation if diplomacy fails, after last week's military command reshuffle.
  • MoU expires: Iran says the US-Iran agreement is effectively dead & "irrelevant". 
  • Trump threatens Oman: Trump warns "we'll bomb the s**t out of them."
  • Backchannel denied: Tehran rejects Trump's claim of IRGC communications.
Strait of Hormuz traffic returns to normal by September 30?
Yes 12% · No 89%
View full market & trade on Polymarket

*  *  *

Iran: Shifting from Defensive to 'Fully Offensive'

This should come as no surprise after the much-publicized military command reshuffle of a week ago, but a top Iranian official has told Reuters that the country is shifting from a defense posture to a "fully offensive" one in its conflict with the United States:

  • Iran has decided to shift its policy from defensive to a “fully offensive” one, a senior Iranian official tells Reuters
  • Iran has set a deadline of a few weeks for the full implementation of the MoU by the US, the official says
  • All Iranian entities will be prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and the region if diplomacy fails, the official warns
  • Iran will not wait for the US to continue the naval blockade indefinitely, the official adds

While bonds and stocks moved on the headline, oil was left little impacted - again perhaps become Tehran had already for days been signaling this new 'offensive' messaging as a policy shift...

Meanwhile, Iran is denying earlier Trump claims to have opened up backchannel communications with the IRGC...

And strangely, there was this development: 

Iranian drones target Barzani's Erbil office. Masrour Barzani stated: "my personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drone attacks." No casualties were reported.

This is after Axios reported that Nechirvan was the mediator link to the IRGC backchannel. Here's what Axios said in a Sunday report on these prior, secretive diplomatic efforts:

In mid-May, U.S. negotiators trying to reach a deal with Iran to end the war ran into a problem: They couldn't tell if the people across the table actually spoke for the country's powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

So Trump administration officials did something unconventional — they went around Iran's negotiators and reached out directly to IRGC leadership. The person they tapped for the backchannel was Nechirvan Barzani, the president of the Kurdistan region in Iraq, who had something very few others do: the trust of both U.S. and IRGC leaders.

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman if it Gets in Way

President Trump has issued some fresh Monday remarks on Iran, after a weekend where he was relatively quiet on the conflict he launched nearly six months ago, which has long been the central controversial decision made as Commander-in-Chief, threatening to define his whole second term. In a short interview with Fox News reporter Trey Yingst, who frequently reports from Jerusalem and the Middle East, Trump threatened to bomb Oman if the Gulf country "gets in the way" of US efforts to negotiate and strike a favorable peace deal with Iran.

"I asked the president about... parallel talks that are taking place between Iran and Oman about control of the Strait of Hormuz," Yingst introduced. Trump then responded: “if Oman gets in the way [of US control in the Strait of Hormuz], we'll bomb the s**t out of them."

But already, Oman and Iran have been hammering out a nearly finalized Hormuz Strait deal, which essentially cuts the United States out of negotiations and management of the vital energy transit waterway. The deal is widely seen as ceding to Tehran de facto control of the strait, and thus also giving the Iranians major continued leverage in the ongoing standoff and conflict with Washington.

The timing of Trump's remarks are further interesting given that on the same day, 60-day window established in the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) inked between the US and Iran in June has finally expired.

Iran's Foreign Ministry on Monday made clear its position that the deadline was "irrelevant" anyway given that talks never began as the US resumed hostilities. Spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said that under the MoU, the ceasefire window intended to give the two sides time to discuss "the nuclear issue" and "the lifting of sanctions"; however he charged the US with violating the terms and thus destroying the chance for talks.

Trump: Bachchannel with IRGC Open, Which Iran Then Denies

But despite that the MoU will now go down as another failed opportunity, President Trump surprisingly raised another avenue, telling Fox that there is a backchannel with the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) officials. The IRGC of course represents a 'hardline' aspect to Iranian governance and military command structure, and so it's surprising that this would be Trump's alleged backchannel. To be expected, Tehran has been quick to deny this on Monday.

Trump asserted that Iran should raise "the white flag of surrender" - but that he has "no time schedule" and is in "no hurry" to make a deal. He noted his observation that the Iranian's are "good poker players, but they're dying," said Trump.

In the interview the president was also asked about widespread reports that the Pentagon is running out of missiles - of both defensive interceptor and offensive variety - due to the Iran and Ukraine wars:

Regarding US munitions used against Iran, Trump said that what has been used so far against Iran "is peanuts."

Trump added that while the US has many mid-level weapons, many of the more advanced weapons, including air-defense systems, were "given away" to Ukraine by former US President Joe Biden.

Trump separately on Monday reiterated the following warning on nuclear weapons in fresh Truth Social Post:

Trump Admin 'Very Lucky Oil Prices Haven't Ballooned'

In the meantime there continues to be nothing but bad options for the administration. Tehran will seek to bleed, pressure, and humiliate Trump going into the November midterms. Iran wants global economic and energy pain to come back and bite Americans, and thus sink Republicans in Congressional elections.

Joey Hood, former acting director of the Office of Iranian Affairs at the US State Department, has pointed out that Trump has encouraged Americans to see higher prices as "a very small tax in exchange for making sure that Iran doesn’t get a nuclear weapon."

Hood underscored, "But I don’t think any of those objectives have really been reached." He explained, "The Trump administration is very lucky that oil prices haven't ballooned, because countries around the world have taken measures to try to absorb the shock. There are also still ships getting through the strait, perhaps by turning off their transponders and passing through undetected."

The Iranians have been signaling that they have moved from a defensive posture to an offensive one, which they warn will be more aggressive in dealing with Washington action and provocation. 

0